DTLA: Vegan Street Corn Salad
During our annual trips to Santee Alley as a kid, even though my Mom always instructed us at the beginning of the voyage not to ask for anything, she would always treat us. When we were done shopping for our Easter suits, plastic garment bags in hand (feeling relieved we didn't have to try on anymore clothes), she'd let us pick anything from the food vendors we wanted. I'm sure my younger brother always chose ice cream. My older opted for churros. The choice for me was always clear and I never wavered. Not once. I wanted elote with all the fixings, bells and whistles.
Street corn is such a journey for the palate. It's firm and juicy. It's creamy, cheesy and spicy. It's herbaceous and earthy. It's one of the most amazing things to eat for pennies. Whenever I visit The Alley now, regardless of if I've already eaten or not, I always grab one.
A lot of friends and followers have asked for vegan recipes and while that's not my ministry, I love a challenge. This vegan street corn salad is my spin on a beloved LA classic.
- 4 ears of fresh corn in husks
- butter lettuce
- 2 round radishes
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- canola oil
- 1 large shallot
- 1 large poblano pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup of walnut oil
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- sea salt
- go veggie! brand grated parmesan style topping
- cayenne pepper
- Turn one eye of your stove on high heat. Place poblano on the rack, directly on the flame, rotating occasionally until the outer layer is completely charred and blistered. Place the charred pepper in a large bowl and seal with plastic wrap. Allow it to sit and sweat for 10 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap scrape charred skin off the poblano with a spoon. Set to the side.
- In the bowl of an immersion blender combine walnut oil, soy milk, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper paprika and cayenne pepper in the blender cup. Then place the immersion blender in and pulse until the lime crema is fully emulsified.
- Brush corn with canola oil. Turn all four eyes of your stove on high heat. Place oiled corn on the racks, directly on the flame, rotating occasionally until the corn is slightly charred and blistered. Remove from the flame.
- With a large knife and mixing bowl, cut cooked corn off 3 ears into the bowl. Chop, dice and place shallots, avocado, cilantro, poblano and radishes into the bowl along with a tablespoon of the vegan lime crema. Gentle fold.
- Cut remaining ear of corn into rounds.
- Plate by smearing lime crema on the bottom of a shallow bowl followed by the corn salad, butter lettuce, corn rounds and sliced radish. Dust with vegan grated parmesan and top with more chopped cilantro. Or plate however you'd prefer.
- Enjoy it!